Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Happy 100th Post: Top 10: Broadway Musicals

 
Celebrating 100 Posts
Top Ten List #6 (Items 51- 60)
Top Ten Broadway Musicals
10. Wizard of Oz – The musical that started my love of musicals. (I’ve seen this show live like 5 or 6 times).
9. Jesus Christ Superstar – The “true” story of Jesus and his life of sin with Mary. (Haven’t seen this live, but the music is so wonderful!)
8. Spring Awakening – Sex, drugs and rock-and-roll all in pre-war Germany.
7. Les Mis – The story of a former prisoner seeking redemption during the French Revolution.
6. A Chorus Line – A behind the scenes looks at musical theatre auditions.
5. Hairspray – The first truly campy musical on this list but with a meaningful moral; racial tensions during Civil Rights era Baltimore.
4. RENT – Second appearance on the celebration list. Dark and depressing; AIDS and gay; rock and love: all wonderful things in a musical.
3. Beauty and the Beast – The first musical I saw on Broadway. A wonderful movie made better by the Disney on Broadway folk. I love DISNEY!
2. Legally Blonde – I saw opening night of previews. I said to my friend “Screw theatre for social change, sometimes you need camp!

1. Wicked – Where to begin? Where to end? This musical has been life altering. “I’d sooner try, Defying Gravity!”



No comments: